Saturday, March 7, 2015

Gone but Not Forgotten

Welcome! If you are visiting this blog for the first time, I would like to give you an introduction and suggest how you can get the most out of viewing this blog.

When: February 2015.
Who: A family of four join ASAPministries.org on mission trip
Why: To take images and video of ASAP projects
Where: Thailand, Cambodia and one other country in that region.

First, I suggest you read this blog in the order it was created. Click here to read the introduction post. Then I would suggest you view the tags that are of interest to you, for example: missions, life, fruit.

And second, I hope that you find an interest in missions and that it is strengthened by reading this blog. The closer you draw your heart to helping someone else, the closer your heart will be to God.


------------------

As of today, we have been back home for a week and a few days.  Our circadian rhythms are for the most part back on track, and life is settling down again to a pre-trip condition. I find myself thinking of the peoples we left back in their home countries, and wanting to keep the fire of missions alive in my heart.

We had some reverse culture shock:

1) Back home we are again part of the majority culture. Here we do not have locals taking pictures of us or with us. No longer is all the surrounding unknown languages. Being an outsider is an interesting feeling. It makes me want to include the foreigner in our midst. When people included me, (tried to talk with me, or corrected my pronunciation) I felt a bond with them. I want to be sensitive to and inclusive of others.

2) The very first experience we had back on American soil was getting off the plane. Within a jet bridge, a group of wheel chair porters were loudly arguing and jostling for position. It seemed a jolting, "welcome back to American values." We never heard arguing, complaining or anything other than a smile from the service staff in any capacity in Asia. Within a few more steps there were US immigration officers who were dealing with foreigners (perhaps with passport issues?) in a very harsh manner. I am thankful that we did not have to face such from any of the many officers from these other countries that we visited. Kindness is a blessing.

3) Coming to a water faucet, the first thought was similar to the past four weeks: watch out - that was not boiled! We are learning again to fall into normal routines that include trusting water from the tap and public places. Let us not take health security for granted here in America. We need to value clean water here and promote clean water in the rest of the world.

4) I rode to church on smooth roads in our enclosed van this morning. On our trip overseas I rode on a wooden bench in the back of a pickup or tuk tuk. The road? Rough, bumpy, holes large enough to swallow a van. Transportation is an area where there are large differences between here and there. The density of people there makes a big difference in traffic.

5) Food in SE Asia centers on rice. Morning, noon and night (if there is money for multiple meals in a day.) I enjoy rice, but I also value beans, and wish I could find a way to encourage bean growing and consumption across SE Asia. I have enjoyed bread since being home.


We enjoy being home and miss the new friends and families back in Asia. One clear take away for us that the Gospel has not gone to all the world. It will take personal effort to do so. SE Asia, we will be back, Lord willing.


Would you please continue praying for a spark? If you slow down, just read back over this blog, and renew the flame once more. Pray, pray, pray, and then act.




No comments:

Post a Comment