Monday, February 16, 2015

Talk about Sour

Ok, I talk abut the sweet fruits here jn Asia, but let's balance this out a bit. There is a fruit that grows in a bushy tree that looks like a star in cross section. It is called a Star Fruit, but this may just be by looks, and I am sure it has a fancier Thai name.

Our host plucked one from a tree and brought it inside for a taste. Here you can see the slices.
I don't know if this is used in cooking, but wow is it sour. I don't mean astringent, just a super sour. They brought a saucer and filed it with brown sugar, and these little slices were coated on both sides and eaten.

It is hard to describe the sweet sour pendulum this takes your taste buds through. Perhaps it is the pulsating wave of sensations that drive the locals to eat it ;)


Pray with us for a spark.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! We've been catching up on your blog and have enjoyed it very much. Just a word in defense of the starfruit! :) The first time we ever had them tree-ripened was on Guam. They were a beautiful golden color and were sweet as honey with a hint of tang. I really do hope you are able to try some tree-ripened ones before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! Your description sounds much more pleasant than I experienced! I will keep an eye out for it in a market, but I have not seen them sold yet.

    ReplyDelete